Qust Al Hindi Powder
Costus is a medicinal plant that grows in the high valleys of Kashmir and the Himalayas. It’s a remedy which I recommend you always have at home as part of your natural medicine cabinet.
The Prophet Mohammad صلى الله عليه وسلم taught us that Costus is a cure for:
- Sore throat and tonsillitis
- Pleurisy (inflammation of the membrane that wraps around the lungs)
- Decrease of blood sugar
- Fighting Cancer
- Fighting bacterial and fungal infections
- Lowering inflammation
- Its antioxidant properties
- Protects the liver
- Contains adaptogenic activity (helps the body deal with stress)
Other studies have shown that Costus root:
- Reduces pain and fever and has anti-inflammatory effects. (source)
- Improves symptoms of ulcerative colitis (source)
- Also has activity against worm (nematode) infections. Some research shows (see here and here) that costus root reduces the number of worm eggs in the feces about as effectively as treatment with a standard medication called pyrantel pamoate.
- This study showed that patients with throat infections who took Costus root had remission rates similar to that associated with the use of antibiotics.
- Costus has also been used for asthma and cough